View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Export to other format than 3DXML 

Post Export to other format than 3DXML
Hello,

I was wondering whether there is a chance you'd implement export in another format than 3DXML which would provide a much needed free 3DXML converter.

So far, if I am not mistaken, it's only possible to convert 3DXML if one owns 3DSMax version 9 or above as there is a plugin for it (costs thousands), Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended (costs hundreds) or have a pay for account to have it converted online to DAE by 3DVIA/Dassault. There is a script for Blender 2.49 but it doesn't work at all.

Reason I am asking is because I have been successfully making 3D captures with 3DVIA Printscreen (the only 3D capture program that seems to work for OpenGL apps here) from scientifical visualization software without 3D export such as Voroprot and I am stuck with those 3DXML files (which GLC Player renders perfectly) I cannot convert to another format for editing and or rendering which is very frustrating.

I'd personally be interested only in getting the mesh/geometry converted as I am not capturing anything textured and probably never will.

Do you think there is a chance you could implement something like that some day? Export in any other format that GLC Player supports for reading would do.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:38 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Export to other format than 3DXML
Hello,
johnnybegood wrote:
Do you think there is a chance you could implement something like that some day? Export in any other format that GLC Player supports for reading would do.

Yes, I have already thinking about this kind a feature. Now, I have to decide in which format : COLLADA, 3DS or OBJ.

Which one will be the best ?

@+

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Hey, very glad to read that. :D

As for what would be the best format, I would say obj as it's the most widely supported format across 3D apps but Collada might also be a good choice since it is supposed to be THE standard 3D interchange format and 3DS would be the worst choice I think.

Perhaps you could make a poll to see what other people think about it.

Cheers.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi,

I think this also depends on the usage of the models:

OBJ is the most common - but it has no hierarchies and instances. So it is always good to have this output. If someone needs hierarchies or instances I personally think Collada is a good choice. I've personally also have good results with X3D or FBX...

Greets,

Patrik

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:28 am

Hello again, I was wondering if there is still some little hope of seeing a version of GLC Player with whatever additional export format at some point or if I must forget about it completely?

Thanks.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]